Welcome to an interactive study of the history of the English Bible
Today we have incredible access to the Scriptures. Between printed and online versions and apps, we have no shortage of options. It may be hard to imagine that there was a time when owning a copy of an English Bible for yourself was impossible or dangerous, but that was the case. But thanks to God’s providence and the vision, work, and courage of some in the past, the English Bible became available to the people. Hearts were brought out of darkness and into the light of true biblical knowledge of God in Christ.
This study will take you through time using different English Bible translations and some major players as coordinates. We will begin in distant days and return to our time. At the end of the study, there is information about free Bible software and an organization that works to bring the Bible to those who do not yet have it in their own language. I pray that those of us who already have the treasure of God’s word, cherish it and read it often. Enjoy your trip!
- Learn about the canon of the Scriptures
- Lean who produced the first hand-printed, whole copy of the Bible in English
- Learn about a new technology that greatly affected the spread of information, the availability of Bibles, and the course of the Protestant Reformation
- See front covers and pages of early Bibles
- Learn about English translations that pre-date the King James Bible (KJV)
- Learn about the history of the KJV. The KJV is loved by many. It is interesting to learn how it came to be. That history also helps to shed some light on the King James Only controversy.
- Learn some of the politics of the day involving the Roman Catholic Church and England
- Get a deeper appreciation for Christians who came before us and the sacrifices they made
- Learn about modern Bibles and translation types
- Get a deeper appreciation for our English Bibles and what precious gifts they are
- + more!